Monday, December 04, 2006

Huh?

So apparently Blogger has gotten rid of the old text color I was using. So I picked this pink color in the meantime because it's close enough to what I had before (horribly clashing, but whatever), but I'm kind of annoyed. Where did the old color go? Oh well, I just discovered how easy it is to play with the template now that I am using this beta blogger business, so maybe I'll mess with it over break and make something completely new. Or not. We'll see.

Also annoying? I discovered on Friday that the thief that took my camera also took the charger and USB cord for my mp3 player. It was all in the same drawer as the camera so I'm sure the person going through my drawers just took everything that looked like it might possibly go with the camera. So I was all happy that my mp3 player was in Austin with me and didn't get taken, but the mp3 player is pretty useless if I can't charge it or upload music to it, now isn't it? So I called Dell and found out that because this particular mp3 player hasn't been manufactured in (gasp!) 9 months that they no longer carry any of the parts for it and I ended up having to go through their spare parts department where luckily I was able to get a refurbished cable and an AC adaptor that "should" work. So that's fine (other than the fact that I'm now out the $40 it took to replace the missing parts) but I'm sort of angry at Dell for making my mp3 player basically obsolete. I haven't even had it for two whole years yet! It's not like I'm looking for parts for a ten year-old computer or something. Does anyone else feel like that's sort of ridiculous?

ALSO annoying? I got a letter from the electric company saying my bill is past due and that they will be disconnecting my power on 12/04. Which happens to be tomorrow! There are a couple of problems with this. Number one, I never got a bill from the electric company this month, and yeah, I suppose it's sort of my fault for not realizing earlier that I hadn't paid an electric bill in more than a month but when they change the due date every month, how am I supposed to keep track? Plus when I did actually think of it (which admittedly wasn't until late last week) I assumed they were just off because of the Thanksgiving holiday and if I hadn't gotten the bill by this week I'd call them and see what was up. Lo and behold, I checked the mail today and got the letter saying they'll disconnect my power on 12/04 unless I pay the bill in full by 5:00 PM on 12/01. But when did I get this letter? Not on Friday, because I checked mail on Friday and it wasn't there. Nope, this letter didn't arrive until 12/02, a day AFTER my past-due amount was due. Idiots. So now I have to get down to the city utility department tomorrow and explain myself, hopefully before they actually shut off my power.

In better news, I finished the online portion of my two most pressing applications today (the crazy California ones due on the 12th). Now all I have to do is write the statement of purpose and then a two-page directing statement one of them wants and I can overnight everything to California. Given, those are the hardest parts for me, but I fully intend to sit down and finish them tomorrow. Shouldn't be impossible, since I have the whole day off from work and I apparently have to wake up at 8 AM to yell at the electric company anyway. And if I can finish those tomorrow then I can put everything in the mail on Tuesday and spend the rest of Tuesday and all day Wednesday writing my stupid paper for Backgrounds (which hopefully won't matter too much because hopefully I aced Thursday's test and therefore only need a 75 or so on the paper to make an A in the class...)

I am so ready for it to be Friday. That's my self-imposed, absolutely-the-latest-it-can-be-mailed deadline for putting my California applications in the mail, and my paper will be presented and turned in by then. I may just have to be awake 24/7 Tuesday through Thursday to make it happen, that's all.

No comments: