Sunday, May 07, 2006

Secret Single Behavior

I've been such a bum today, and it is wonderful. I slept until 1:00, worked out for an hour, lazed around the house reading and watching TV, finally went to the grocery store and did my big monthly stock up at about 6:00, and got home just in time to watch my Sunday night TV shows.
And I cooked tonight! I made turkey burgers seasoned with some paprika, McCormick's grill seasoning, garlic, and onion and...hmmm, something else was in there, but I forgot what. Anyway, they turned out really good. I did set the smoke alarm off, but lately the smoke alarm has been going off every single time I turn on the stove. I don't know if it's heat-sensitive or what, but tonight after it rang so long I thought my ear drums were going to explode I stood up on one of my bar stools and pounded on the inside of the smoke detector until it eventually stopped going off. Which means it's probably broken now. Shouldn't there be some sort of button on smoke detectors that you can push to make them stop going off? Is there a button that you can push to turn off smoke detectors and I just don't know where it is? Anyway, because I no longer have a functioning smoke alarm I'll probably be held responsible when building three burns to the ground, but I feel fairly confident that I'd detect a fire in this apartment even before a smoke detector would. The apartment is only a little over 500 square feet big. Plus even if a raging fire did somehow start in my kitchen while I was asleep in my bedroom, I could always escape through the door that leads to my patio. In other words, what I'm saying is, the odds are enough in my favor that I'm okay with the fact that I pounded my smoke alarm to death.
I'm proud of my cooking, except now I'm getting stuck in a rut again. Remember about a year ago when I was stuck in a rut of only trusting myself to make either desserts or appetizers that didn't involve any real meat (other than like, lunch meat)? And then I tried some pastas and got stuck on that? Well, I finally tackled my fear of cooking meat and have now made hamburgers, turkey burgers, and chicken patties in different varieties several times without dying from salmonella or e.coli. But now I realize that for the past couple of months all of my cooking projects have been burgers of some variety. So next up I think I need to do something that doesn't involve ground beef. I'm going to be a real cook yet, just wait and see...maybe soon I'll even be brave enough to cook for people other than my sister!

(P.S.-Why do I suddenly feel like a 1950s housewife?)

Anyway, I had a really enjoyable night cooking and eating and watching my Sunday night TV shows. Grey's Anatomy was a bit too melodramatic tonight, though, dontcha think? Although I did enjoy Meredith's little speech to McDreamy, mostly because I can totally relate. You broke me, you don't get to complain about how I choose to fix myself! HELL YEAH! Maybe the parallel will continue and I'll start dating a vet that looks exactly like Chris O'Donnell. I'd be okay with that. Incidentally, it's weird that he suddenly showed up on Grey's because I swear just a few weeks ago I was wondering whatever happened to him.

Speaking of dating, I was thinking tonight about one of the best things about being single. Namely, I only have to entertain myself. I was thinking today how I can be perfectly happy spending an entire day just like this: cooking a meal, lying on the couch reading blogs, watching The Sopranos. Throw a guy into the mix and suddenly I'd feel the need to be entertaining. I have to get pretty far into a relationship before I feel comfortable just going around the house doing my thing while my guy does his own thing. When I'm not in a relationship I forget how exhausting it can all be: in a relationship, especially the beginning of a relationship, there's such a need to be "on" all the time. I always feel like I need to be carrying on a conversation, and planning things to do, and looking my best even if I'm in my pajamas or my workout clothes. In a good relationship the ability to just lie around the house in grubby workout clothes and not speak to each other at all for a couple of hours, that feeling of being totally comfortable in one another's presence, comes around eventually. But until it does there's a definite need to be entertaining, and I'd forgotten how much that annoys me. And then there's always having to plan around another person, and the checking in every day even if you can't see each other...there are a lot of things that are really great about being in a relationship, and I personally believe overall that the pros outweigh the cons. But I'm a person who likes a lot of privacy and alone time, so I think maybe I should focus on all the pros of being single for a while. Because all of a sudden tonight the thought of having to share a home with another person for the rest of my life really scares me.
I'm so fickle.


Still, maybe I should enjoy having my own place while it lasts.

1 comment:

dsb said...

Hey Ashley Q -- I just found your blog through your AIM profile, and you probably noticed two hundred and sixty five visits from me this weekend (qwest from work, rcn from home :) so I just wanted to let you know that I'm reading.

Also, we have some catching up to do. Also -- well, sometimes I miss AP Physics a little (but not really, because I will never, ever actually miss High School), but only because no one up here is the same combination of silly and sentimental that I am, and you always kind of were.

I hope things start looking up for you. Beautiful, intelligent women deserve so much more than the world seems to have to offer. I have a friend who is getting married in a few months, and to this day, she is the only person I've ever met who seems to be with someone who truly deserves her. Le sigh...