Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Crazy As Ever

Yesterday my sister and I drove across the state along with two dogs, two cats, two crates for the dogs, and a bunch of other random crap. Thankfully Chelsea drives an SUV (except that it cost me $60 to fill it up in Fort Stockton. I wasn't as thankful about that part).
The drive was uneventful, and so far El Paso has been uneventful too. We all went to Hudson's last night (including Shane's friends Gus and Dykes, who spend so much time with my family whenever Shane is in town that they're basically my brothers, too). And I got a really good buzz going, which is pretty much the only way I can both be in El Paso and be happy at the same time right now. And everyone else drank a lot, too, and we were all really loud and a lot of inappropriate things were said, and my parents are still very much in mid-life crisis mode, which is entertaining to say the least. In other words, it's the same old, same old.

Probably my two favorite moments of this El Paso trip so far:

Yesterday in the car Chelsea and I got on the topic of annoying songs that always get played at weddings and dances (the Cha Cha Slide being a prime example) and I announced that I won't have that music at my hypothetical-possibly-never-going-to-happen wedding. Chelsea then informed me that she's all about the Cha Cha Slide and, in fact, at her wedding she's only going to play the 18 songs that they play over and over again at The Derby in Juarez. "Which means you'll be hearing Cha Cha Slide about every hour and a half!" she gleefully informed me. I love my sister. I'm pretty sure the Derby mix also includes some Prince, so it's not all bad.

And then this morning at 10:00 I was getting breakfast in the kitchen, and Shane poured himself a bowl of shredded wheat and then opened the fridge and stood there staring for a minute and then sighed and said, "Damn, I was hoping we'd have bottled beer." (I later realized this was just general commentary on the fridge and not that he was looking for a beer to have with breakfast, thank God).


Also, my brother just now strolled through the living room wearing nothing but a pair of boxer shorts with a beach towel wrapped around his neck, carrying a staple gun. This led to the following conversation.
Me: What the heck are you doing?
Shane: That's for me to know and you to find out...(pauses in the doorway) Have you ever been in a staple gun fight?
Me: No. Why would anyone want to do that?...Are you about to tell me that you have?

Shane: During the Member/Guest when you're putting up the scoreboards, nobody comes into the room for hours and there's nothing better to do.
Me: So you kill time by shooting each other with staple guns?
Shane: Yeah...
Me: (long, long LOOK) I have absolutely nothing to say about that.


No comments: