Thursday, July 27, 2006

Negative/Positive

-
-People that come into the restaurant and don't tip anybody, ever. I got stiffed for the first time today and was pretty pissed about it, especially because I couldn't figure out what I could possibly have done to make the table so mad that they wouldn't leave me any money. Then I found out from my co-workers that these particular people never tip, ever. So my question is, do we really have to keep letting them into the restaurant? Are there really people in this country that are not aware of the fact that waiters only make about $2.00 an hour and are reliant on tips for pretty much their entire income? Idiots.
-Sinus headaches
-Talking to strangers on the phone. I had to call the clips licensing division of several movie studios yesterday afternoon ('cause my thesis project is just that glamorous, ha) and I hate talking to strangers on the phone under normal circumstances, but it's really scary to have someone answer the phone with, "Hello, Twentieth Century Fox main desk", or Universal, or Warner Bros., or whatever, especially because I'd just assumed that the numbers I was calling would connect directly to the divisions I wanted. Once I got the main desk I seriously wanted to hang up because all I could think was, "Jesus, these people don't have time for people like me." Except that apparently they do, 'cause I got all the information I needed to know for now. (Incidentally, when you're searching for the contact information for Universal, before they will let you onto their "Contact Us" page you have to promise that you won't send them any unsolicited ideas. I thought that was pretty hilarious. Yes, please feel free to contact us, but not if you're just doing it to send us your psychotically stupid idea for a new project...that we're probably already working on, considering the sorry state of most films these days).

+
-It's 5:30 in the afternoon and my to-do list for the day is complete.
-I only have to work tomorrow morning and Saturday night and then I'm off for four whole days! I'm not sure why I have four days off in a row...possibly because by Saturday I'll have worked six days in a row. I'm not questioning it, though, I'm just going with it. Because I can do a lot of really lame and useless things in four whole free days!
-The red licorice, bottle of Coke, and Everyday With Rachael Ray magazine that are waiting for me on my kitchen counter because yes, that is what I'm planning to do tonight: eat licorice and read cooking magazines. The ol' social life, it's really hoppin' right now! (I know Matthew at least will appreciate how I'm planning to spend my evening, even if nobody else understands)
-Speaking of cooking, I actually cooked a real dinner last night. I made this basil/ricotta/tomato pasta thing. I realized July was almost over and since the only time I'd cooked in July was the 4th I needed to cook one more "real" meal again before the month was over. So I did it! And that means I've still stuck to my new years resolution of cooking a real meal twice a month. Pretty good, considering the year is more than half over. I think the only month that I slacked was last month, but I blame that on England.

Anyway, this is a rather pointless entry and Cohen is lying here whining because he wants to go for a walk. I think we'll do our walk at the outlet mall this evening and do some window shopping. That should make the dog happy, he'll be able to beg dozens of shoppers for belly rubs.

No comments: