Monday, November 07, 2005

Birthday Roundup

So, I turned 23 yesterday. 24 hours later, I will say it hasn't been bad so far. Even though I do wish for the first time in my life that I could actually be younger. I briefly considered doing 22 Part II, but I am beginning to embrace and accept 23. After all, I don't want to eventually be one of those ladies who claims to be turning 35 when everyone knows for a fact she's 42. Plus maybe 23/2006 will be the year something BIG happens. Whatever something BIG might be.
My birthday was fun. It was more lowkey than the birthday celebrations I've had the past few years, but since I've been living a more lowkey life in general lately I liked it that way. My birthday started with happy birthday phone calls (and one "Happy Birthday, let's have sex!" phone call, which is good because a birthday is just not everything it should be unless there's hot action in some form) on Friday night/Saturday afternoon (not Saturday morning, since I happily slept through Saturday morning!). Then I went to Cohen's obedience class on Saturday afternoon and he was really good in class. He focused, he didn't "talk" the whole time like he usually does. I like to think his cooperation was his birthday present to me. Haha.
Saturday night was my birthday dinner at McCormick and Schmick's. It was delicious. I ate so much fish and talked both Chelsea and my cousin Asra into getting desserts I wanted to try so I was able to have chocolate cake, pecan pie, and quatro leches (not tres, QUATRO!) for dessert, and the Cosmopolitans at McCormick and Schmick's are beyond perfect. It was great. My grandparents threw the little party, which was really, really nice of them, and my siblings came along with my aunt, uncle and cousins and my great aunt and uncle. Big, crazy family thing. I had a good time. I thought I'd be home in time to go out for a birthday drink with Matthew, but I didn't end up getting back here until almost midnight. That's okay, though, since I was more or less celebrated out anyway.
Then today I used some of my birthday money to hit the outlet malls. I got several things and had one of those awesome days when every time I took something to the register to pay expecting it to be a certain amount it was actually less. Once it was like, fifty bucks less than I thought it was gonna be because both items I had picked out were 65% off, which I hadn't realized when I picked them out. That made my day.
What made it even better was that my sister surprised me tonight with a great present. She told me to come up to her house around dinner time to pick up my gift and said, "Don't eat, we'll pick up food when you get here." Which of course should have tipped me off to her surprise, but I was being really dense today and was very focused on my new jeans so I didn't really think twice about it. Well, when I got to her house she gave me a casserole dish of chicken enchiladas! She made the birthday dinner my mom always made for me when I was growing up, the birthday dinner I haven't actually had since my 18th birthday, the last one I spent at home. How sweet is that?! And as if that weren't enough, after dinner she came out of her bedroom with my very favorite chocolate cake with 24 candles in it (yes, it now takes an entire box of candles to adorn my birthday cake if you add "one to grow on"). Chelsea is awesome at presents. Anyway, Shane came over and had dinner with us, too, and I loved it. It made the weekend complete.
Oh, and then tonight we took pictures for my Christmas cards. The basset and I are part of a basset hound "Howliday" Card Exchange and I ordered my cards tonight. As a preview, here is my favorite mistake picture:

Isn't his sweater awesome? I never thought I'd be one of those women who dresses up dogs, but what can I say? I put it on him as a joke and then had to buy it. Oh, and his tongue is not actually in my mouth, but it was pretty damn close! If you want one of the real cards, e-mail me your mailing address and I'll send them out closer to the holidays.

Anyway, it's bedtime because tomorrow is Monday. Only two more weeks until Thanksgiving break!!

No comments: