Thursday, June 15, 2006

Sweet, innocent...

So I'm back in the library again. The other library we went to doesn't have wireless internet access after all. It's another bank of computers we can use, which is good, so I should still be able to update pretty much daily. But I was just really wishing I could get my own computer to work so that I could use AIM. I miss chatting on AIM. But I didn't come to England to chat on AIM. Blah, blah, blah, I know, I know.

Anyway, things are still good. The visit to Anne Hathaway's cottage was good yesterday. The walk was really pretty, although we did see a horse lying sprawled out in a pasture. Healthy horses don't lie down, do they? Anyhow, we toured the house and took some pictures in the garden. I keep teasing Amanda because I swear she already has about a hundred pictures of flowers on her camera. She does have a purpose because she plans to print some of the best pictures in black and white and use them to decorate her room when we get back to Texas, but I have to tease her anyway. It was kind of cool to walk through the labyrinth again and see how much the bushes have grown since the last time I was there. They only came to my waist last time and now some of them are almost up to my head.

Last night was a lot of fun. The Alexes, Liz, Amanda and I went to a pub down the road from our house called The Lamplighter. It was pound fifty pint night, woohoo! I drank a couple pints of Strongbow (in draft form!! AH!), ate a greasy package of fish and chips, and watched the Poland/Germany "football" game. How very British of me. I always forget how ridiculous alcohol is here. For one thing, the alcohol content of beer is stronger than it is in the states. And then there's the fact that even though I only had two beers over a 2 1/2 hour period and that seems perfectly reasonable, a glass of beer here is an entire literal pint of beer. A glass of beer back home? Not so much. Anyway, we were all telling stories and making each other laugh about stupid things, and of course at some point sex came up and both Alexes' jaws dropped at a few things I had to say. Things that I'd rather not repeat here 'cause my Mom is reading this at the moment. This inevitably happens every time I'm getting to know new people. I blow the cover of my sweet and innocent reputation and it's never quite the same again. :-) I still don't understand why this reputation precedes me in the first place, but I've decided it's a mystery about myself that I'm just never going to solve. And it's also a reputation I'll never be able to shake no matter what the hell I do, so whatever! I embrace it.
Anyway, we all came home from the pub kinda buzzed. As we passed him on the second floor on our way upstairs Chris asked if we were drunk and Amanda said, "No, we're just amused" and I couldn't resist calling back down the stairwell, "Is amused a synonym for drunk?" Ha. The five of us are the only ones that live all the way up on the third floor and we've now decided that the third floor is where it's all going down. As long as we're showing up for class and getting our stuff done (and we do and we are) we figure we might as well enjoy the local culture while we're here. And, frankly, there's nothing to do here in Stratford after 6:00 other than go to the pubs, so what can ya do?

This morning was fun. Paul taped his lecture for the BBC this morning and we were guests in the audience. Since the show itself is actually about Holy Trinity Church, the portions Paul taped at the Birthplace Trust are actually just short little blurbs that I imagine will ultimately just be little short bits in the final show to establish the setting or something like that. So the "letcture" was actually just thirty seconds of real lecture and then a bunch of time when Paul talked about random things and the camera crew filmed us watching him talk and pretending to be fascinated and attentive. And then afterwards some of us happened to be standing around on the street deciding what to do next and the producer ended up asking us to be extras in some other shots. So they filmed us walking around in the birthplace gardens and pretending to take some pictures and look at the house and then they filmed us pretending to do research in the library. It was kinda fun, and it's not like I had anything better to do this morning. And the producer made me laugh by saying we were, "Lovely! So realistic!" as we were pretending to research. Um, yes. Because it's quite hard to pretend to read a book and copy notes out of it. Although maybe it is hard to just do your own thing and ignore a camera if you've never done it before, I don't know. The funny thing is, there's this girl in our group who drives us all crazy, and when they asked for a volunteer from the audience to be taped asking Paul a question, of course her hand flew up immediately. And the rest of us all groaned inwardly, because we know how Mindy is. Sure enough, it was the most long winded and complicated question ever. But they made it shorter and filmed her asking it, and now I'm sure we're not going to hear the end of it for days. Like, for the past couple of days now she's been all excited about this and talking about how she can add it to her resume, which is just ridiculous. You can't put that on a resume. "Extra on BBC program Songs of Grace". Haha. I mean, I suppose you COULD, but it would be a very pathetic move. And then she kept talking about how "we're being filmed on Thursday morning!" Um, no, dude. Paul the important Shakespeare expert is being filmed. We're just sitting on chairs to fill in the edges of the frame and ensure that he's speaking to a full house. Immediately after they filmed her asking her question she commented out loud to the whole room "I'm more than just 'extra on the left' now!" Jesus. Oh, the stories I could tell about this girl. But I'm not in a bitchy mood right now and, honestly, I mostly just feel bad for her. It's kind of depressing because I think she's genuinely a nice person and she seems to know how annoying she is (she wrote Jenn, her roommate, a letter the other day saying "If I'm following you around like a pathetic puppy dog just tell me to leave you alone and I will...") but she's just incapable of not being annoying. With the exception of her I really like everyone in this group, though, and we're all getting along well so far. So that's good.

This afternoon we had rehearsal for our scene with Patricia and then this afternoon we had the first half of our master class with Jane Lapotaire. She's definitely a character. She's a major classical actress, and an associate artist at the RSC (there are only about fifteen associate artists in the world, so apparently it's a really big deal). She's acted with people like Kenneth Brannagh and Sir Laurence Olivier, so she's kind of important. Google her if you're curious, it turns up tons of stuff but I'm too lazy to link right now. Needless to say, I was kind of intimidated. But you know, it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. She's actually really, really funny and entertaining. She is definitely very blunt and she's not afraid to make fun of you, but it wasn't as bad as I thought she might be. And she does have a point: if you can't take blunt criticism, acting is not for you. Given, I don't do well with constant criticism and acting is NOT for me and I already know that and I'll tell her that next time if I have to, but today I actually think I did fairly well and got off easy. The only critique I got is that my voice is very high. She said, "Can you lower your voice half an octave?" and I said "I can try..." and then she addressed the class and said, "Some girls, particularly cute little girls who are probably their daddy's favorite, have a habit of using a sweet little high pitched voice because they've found that it works to get them whatever they want from men." And everyone in the class that knows me burst out laughing and I just shrugged and laughed because, well, that's pretty much the truth. Hey, at least I acknowledge it! Anyway, then she went on to explain how I could lower my voice and it worked! She later referred to someone as looking like a "real prat" which I sort of love. Prat. I think that prat, 'have a go', and 'dodgy' all need more use in the U.S.

Alright, I'm getting the five minute warning on this computer and England plays a World Cup game on TV in ten minutes and I'd really like to be at a pub for at least part of the game because I'm sure it's going to be wild. So I'm out of here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Possum--I wish I could go to a pub and drink a pint of beer and eat fish&chips. Oh, and I'd like the Shakespeare stuff, too! Ha! And I loved the comment about your voice! You know what chelsea and Shane will say--"she is the favorite!"Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

It's animal update time! Jose has adjusted brilliantly. By night three he was already sleeping at the foot of my bed and now he sleeps on my side (the side next to Morty) or he punks around on the windowsills and makes threatening noises at invisible predators outside and wakes us all up. He is definitely the alpha in the house as Morty will not cross his path and has been chased twice by Jose. Morty will occasionally bark at Jose trying to get him to play with him but Jose just sits there doing nothing or eventually hisses and chases Morty. Cohen is fine too. He refuses to eat his breakfast or dinner at the right hours which is annoying but oh well. He hasn't eaten breakfast today but I don't think he's hungry so I won't force him I'll just give it to him at dinner. On walks he is doing better but still a punk. That choke collar unfortunately is too small (well it fits but I'm afraid it might actually choke him) so we've been using the harness. It actually is useful because when he flats I just pick him up by the harness and put him on his feet ( I don't pick him up high I just roll him over a bit till he gets up). About the only other problem on walks is he insists on flatting like the first half block we walk and he's a punk with other dogs because he wants to go towards them and their fences but I have to keep Morty away from them and their fences. He's not doing bad though. Ced and Morty are fine too. Morty ate my sandal yesterday (ass, but it was one of those black ones from Old Navy that had all the holes and like tacks in them) but he's being nice to his guests. He did lunge at Cohen the other day to try and get his food so I'm not letting him eat a little bit out of Cohen's dish anymore because he is too greedy. Ced probably gets the least attention but he doesn't care. I've seen him tackle Jose a couple of times too so he's doing fine. In other words, the four are all ok and they haven't killed each other or me yet. Also, your electric bill came and it is for 35.66 and it is due on the twenty sixth. I haven't paid it yet because I figured I'd wait till it was closer to the twenty sixth. I'll mail it next week unless you think differently. I'm going back down there next week to check on everything again. Also, freakin Dairy Queen in San Marcos discontinued the Monster Cookie Blizzard because a bunch of people were allergic to the peanuts in the peanut butter cookie part. IDIOTS! However they will make you one if you've had it before so I got one. yay. I don't know if that's a national thing though because I still see the commercials on TV. Finally, Asra broke her right arm (the other one than the one she busted falling off the barn) at camp. I actually think this might be more like the fracture I had when I was a kid but she does have a cast. She was running and she tripped and they don't know how she did it but they think she did something weird to protect the other arm from getting hurt. So yeah that sucks to be her huh. I think she might come home since she can't do anything anymore (swim, climb trees, you know camp stuff). I think that's it now. Oh I'm going to make a video today so I'll post it this weekend. Bye

Anonymous said...

Ha that was like the longest quote ever!

Anonymous said...

Ok it's me again. I have like four things to say:
1) I meant to say that was the longest comment... not quote but I didn't want to immediately write again cuz that'd mean I was a loser.
2) Today I saw HPHD (at least I think it was him) and he DOES live in that green house with the giant yard and the non-existent kids and guess what... he's been shaved! He's like shaved except for a fluffly tail and a trimmed head. He looks adorable!
3) Grandma left a comment a few things back. I told her how to leave comments but maybe she hit the wrong link. Anyway, just to let you know in case you don't see it it's on the one with the bags not being packed.
4) I uploaded a video onto my photobucket (cheerfulchels). No pictures yet cuz I'm lazy but there is a video. It's in the folder Farm Life 06. I'll do the pictures tomorrow or saturday. I already have plans for another video too. Yay me. Ok I'm done

Anonymous said...

Ok this is the last one I swear because I need to wash dishes and myself and go to bed. I just forgot to say that the video is 2 minutes and 16 seconds and has sound so don't watch it on silent cuz it won't be that good. Borrow some headphones or something if you're embarrassed.

Anonymous said...

ash-

i'm in diana and i've had a few too many beers. i'm pretty sure my parents are making out in the pool...cool and good for them, but i personally don't want to be out there in the midst of it. i miss you a lot. i wish you were here. the stars are beautiful. i was looking at pictures of blaine earlier on this computer at home, and it made me sad. then i remembered he is crazy. and that was ok. then i remembered that i'm alone again and that sucks. i have been trying to read your journal frequently but i forgot for a day, and you had like 47 new entries. and sorry, ellen, that you had to read about my naked romp in the pool. please disregard that immediately. :) i love you!!!!!! i can't wait for you to get home so we can go visit matthew. have a pint for me! love, kymbo

*A* said...

Hi guys!! How exciting to have so many updates from everyone!

Mom-Yes, the minute Jane said that my first thought was "Thank god Chelsea and Shane aren't here, they'd never let me hear the end of it!" I'm so NOT the favorite, by the way. :-)

Grandma-Ah, thanks for the reassurance that horses do lie down sometimes. I thought they maybe did, but Liz kept insisting he was dying. Glad to hear he's probably just fine!

Chelsea-Thanks for the great update! I'm gonna watch the video right now but I don't have headphones so I may have to watch it without sound today and borrow headphones to watch it with sound later this weekend. Kiss my boys for me (and your boys, too!). Also, the thing about HPHD being shaved is hilarious. Poor guy!

Kymberli-Nothing wrong with being single, girl. Nothing at all. And that pint thing? Done and done!