Monday, June 12, 2006

From the library

Hey all. It's 1:3o in the afternoon right now and I have about twenty minutes to post from the Stratford public library. You can use the computers here and get a free hour of internet time. The only problem is there are only about twenty computers and it's hard to get time to use the computer unless you reserve it.
So Amanda, Jenn B. and I reserved computer time right after we got out of our morning class and then went shopping at H&M until it was time for us to come back to the library to use our computer reservations. Ah, H&M, how I love you. I don't plan to spend much money on clothes...actually, I don't plan to spend much money on ANYTHING, but H&M is just irresistable. I just bought the cutest dress for only £15. £££££. I dig the £ key! I might have to eventually break down and buy more short sleeved shirts, too, since I only brought five or six short-sleeved shirts, figuring it would be cool enough for light long-sleeved shirts most of the time. Why is the freakin' weather always out to get me here? Two summers ago when I was here I brought plenty of tank tops and short-sleeved shirts and ended up having to buy a sweater and a heavy jacket because I ended up being too cold all the time. And so this time I came prepared for cold and it turns out my room is a sauna and it's hot and humid outside. Their unpredictable weather must be really good for the economy.


Anyway, today has been good so far. Marian, the lady who runs our B&B, is really sweet and she cooks a full English breakfast every morning. The amount of food she gave each of us was RIDICULOUS. Orange juice, a big pot of tea (in an Alice and Wonderland pot...it made me think of Matthew, he'd love it), an entire rack of different types of toasted bread, two eggs cooked however you want them, a piece of ham, a sausage link, half a cooked tomato, mushrooms, and a hash brown. And then on top of that you can help yourself to fruit, yogurt, and cold cereal. It sounds like an odd combination I suppose, but I personally am a huge fan of the English breakfast, especially when it's free (or not free, but pre-paid with my program fees, anyway). Also, this morning at breakfast I met the resident cat and he let me pet him for a while. He looks just like Jose in Cedric's body. He has the white mustache and everything!

This morning we met Paul, the director of the birthplace trust, and he gave us a syllabus. I'm still just utterly in awe of the people we're going to meet. This morning we had a lecture on Midsummer from Stanley Wells. He is THE Shakespeare guru of the world. Honestly, there's not a person alive right now who knows more about Shakespeare than he does. It's amazing to be learning from him, and to be able to say on my CV that I've studied with him.

Tonight we're going to see Midsummer Night's Dream. I'm so excited!

Oh, and guess what? We get to be on the BBC! Paul is doing a taped lecture for the BBC on Thursday and he invited us to be part of the audience. We're supposed to look very, very interested and take lots of notes to make him look good. Haha.

It's almost time for us to go back to classes. Today we'll learn about the library where we'll be doing our research and then we're touring Shakespeare's birthplace.

I'm sure it has come across pretty clear here, but I'm having a great time so far!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're having a blast already. I can't believe you're gonna be on the BBC. That is totally fabulous. I wish you could have been here for the Tony's last night. We had a small gathering of me, Jason, Anne, and my friends Stacy and Mindy. The big upset of the night went to The Pajama Game that won best revival over Sweeney Todd. Super dramatic. And the guy who won best actor in a musical, John Lloyd Young of Jersey Boys, won the award also for most awkward speech of the night. It was weird. What else...I am super excited because I have 4 more shifts at Charleston's, and 9 days until I move out of my apartment! AH! Life is weird. And my weekend fling was lovely...I totally almost got arrested with no clothes on. Ridiculous. OH, and Steven Alford was definitely trying to get in my pants at the wedding. It's true, I am NOT the only one who noticed this. Jorge says hi by the way...we were all sad that you weren't there. I love you so much!

Love, Kymbo

P.S. I can't believe you cried about the dog sled movie...in public. What a loser!

Anonymous said...

Notice that mom's headline says Shane and then starts with Hey Honey... she's a whoremaster! Tell her to sign her OWN NAME!

*A* said...

A-Kymberli, Kymberli, Kymberli. I can't wait to hear about your weekend fling for real. And yay for almost being done at Charlestons! And tell Jorge I said hello. And Steven Alford? Why oh why? That's all.

B-Why DOES it say "Shane" when mom comments anyway? That makes no sense. And yes, H&M is where we went in Chicago.