Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Patrick Stewart Day

I don't have much time to write today. Shocking, I know. I've already used up most of my computer time looking up train schedules and costs since a group of us would really like to get out of town and do something this weekend. We're already doing a day trip to London on Friday as a class, but a bunch of us would like to maybe go back to London or do another day trip on Saturday or Sunday since Stratford is a little place and we've already seen pretty much all there is to see here. And while one Sunday of just hanging out around town doing not much of anything was fine, I'm not particularly excited about spending both Saturday and Sunday here doing nothing special. So hopefully we can plan something for the weekend.

Anyway, yesterday afternoon's voice class with Charmian, another voice teacher at the RSC, was really good. It was very physical, lots of running around and shouting and stuff. Then last night not much of anything happened. I walked around a bit, grabbed dinner, and then just hung out at the B&B, mainly with Amanda and one of the Alexes.

Today I spent the morning in the Birthplace Trust library working on my paper. I got a whole lot accomplished on it today so I'm feeling pretty good about it (as opposed to how I felt after last week's library session, which was something along the lines of 'Holy hell, this paper will never, EVER get finished, much less be acceptable as a potential conference paper'). I'm writing about Julius Caesar and the way in which directors often set the show within a context of current political events, so I'm looking at three RSC productions, one that sets the show in Mussolini's Italy, one that sets the show in an emerging ex-Soviet democratic nation, and one that sets the show around the Velvet Revolution. It's interesting research so I hope the paper turns into something semi-decent although we have a lot to do next week and not a ton of writing time so who knows what will actually happen.

Anyway, we had a lecture on Antony and Cleopatra today because we're seeing it tonight. I'm so excited about seeing this show. I've never actually seen Antony and Cleopatra performed, not on stage, not in a movie, not at all. It's one of my favorite Shakespeare plays, though (possibly my very favorite, actually) so I'm happy to finally get a chance to see it. And this performance is supposed to be really terrific, it has been getting good reviews. And in case you didn't glean this from my oh-so-creative title, Patrick Stewart stars as Antony. So yeah. I'll tell you all about it tomorrow if it ends up being worthwhile, and it better!

I'm off to go look at more train schedules. Talk to you peeps tomorrow, probably.

P.S.-To Mom and Dad: I don't know what time of the month my cell phone bill comes, but be aware that it might be, um, significantly more than usual because of international text message charges. Ha. Just rest assured that I've specifically budgeted some of my spending money to cover the text message fees I'm probably racking up over here and I will pay you back when I get home. Love you!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my god oh my god if you get a chance please please please try to get his autograph for me!!! hes amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to tell him that his best thing ever was dissolving in X-3. hahaha!

Anonymous said...

OK Ash--won't hold our breath on ever seeing that money--just kidding! Hope the play is wonderful! Your topic for your paper sounds interesting, too!
PS-Chelsea, your comment is ridiculous!

Anonymous said...

OK Ash--won't hold our breath on ever seeing that money--just kidding! Hope the play is wonderful! Your topic for your paper sounds interesting, too!
PS-Chelsea, your comment is ridiculous!

Anonymous said...

What's up with all the double posting? Anyway, just wanted to let you know I went to your casa today and everything is fine. Your car has been running fine too (it starts up immediately). I took Cohen with me again and he was being silly and rubbing himself all over the carpet. Your visa bill came and your new balance is $15.01. I also paid that other bill for you so that was like thirty something dollars (I put the amoung in another comment somewhere). Finally, I left Morty outside in the back while I was gone and he got rained on! I didn't think it'd start raining before I could get back (Even though we are on flash flood warning all day and it did rain this morning). I was about two exits away from mine when it started pouring! He was all soaked and mad and ran into the house and jumped on everything to get it wet and barked at Jose. Poor Morty!

Anonymous said...

Possum,
Watching soccer is sort of like watching paint dry, they don't score enough. But beyond that, I've found out how to make it exciting. Bet on it! I actually won $82.50 today when England and Sweden tied. I was glad to see that goal in the 89'th minute. So I'm going to bet on Argentina and Portugal tomorrow, and get up and watch it.
By the way, I do have a tendon on my tongue. Not very big though.
Thanks for the kind wishes on father's day.
Love, Dad

Unknown said...

I swear, you get to do all the cool things. Hope Patrick Stewart was awesome. More awesome than he was in Moby Dick...

*A* said...

Dad-Your comment about betting on soccer doesn't surprise me in the least. I've had several people here tell me they think Argentina's going to take the whole thing, so we'll see.

Chelsea-Poor Morty, getting stuck in the rain. When is my Visa bill due?

Patrick Stewart stories for everyone in today's real entry. Not all that exciting,though. Sorry guys!