Friday, March 02, 2007

So Not Funny That it Is

For those of you utterly fascinated by my progress, the bulk of my thesis-about 90% of it-is due on Monday ("preferably by Monday", which I'm pretty sure is a nice way of saying "Monday").
So what happened today?
My computer died.
How many completely and utterly cliched things can I manage to do in one lifetime? I'm already the girl that lost her virginity on prom night. Now I'm also the girl whose computer died three days before her thesis is due. It's not funny, except that it sort of is because really, what are the odds?
I was on the phone with Dell for over an hour, and it finally got to the point where the guy had me taking my computer apart with a flathead screwdriver, which freaked me out and didn't fix anything. Eventually he determined that my screen is fried somehow, and someone from Dell is supposed to come out here and replace it, hopefully on Sunday. Getting it fixed on Sunday doesn't help me much, obviously. So I freaked out and cried for two minutes and then realized it could be a lot worse. At least my hard drive is fine. In fact, if I hold my laptop at an incredibly bizarre angle near a bright light, I can almost see what's happening on the screen, and so I was able to move some of my research files to my zip drive (with much frustration). And the other good news is that all of the pages I've already written are printed out already, so at worst I'll just have to retype the whole thing. It could be a million times worse. Still, it sucked. Thankfully my sister isn't using her computer much these days so she drove down here and dropped it off so I could use it for the weekend.

Anyway, I'm getting back to work. I have way too much to do this weekend.

P.S.-So that ugly bruise I had? It's almost 100% gone! I'm amazed. My massage therapist did a cream rather than oil massage (shut up, pervs) on Sunday and mentioned that the cream he used would help with bruising, but wow! I wasn't expecting results this amazing! My body normally holds onto bruises for weeks. All I know is it had arnica in it, which I know is meant to relieve bruising, but seriously, I didn't think I'd be this impressed. It looked better immediately, like the next morning, and now it's gone!

No comments: