Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Can You Make it Hot for Me?

So yesterday Shane, Gus and I drove up to Dallas for the night to go to the Justin Timberlake concert. And it was AWESOME. Everyone seems really surprised that I'm a Justin Timberlake fan, and when I got back this afternoon the cast of the show I'm stage managing was teasing me, but come on! Have you seen him dance? Have you heard the new album? Do you see the striped shirt and the skinny tie? What's not to like?!
To be honest, I don't have much to say about the concert. First of all because it was great to be there but it's probably boring to read about, and second of all because I have nothing to say that isn't going to make me sound like a sex-starved teeny bopper. It was really fun, though. Just as good as I was hoping it would be, and well worth the whirlwind trip to Dallas.
It was also really great to get to see Katy (we stayed the night with her and Scott since they live in Dallas now). We realized we hadn't seen each other since we went tubing last May. I can't believe it has been that long. It was also fun hanging out with Shane. I like spending time with Shane and we always have fun together and we get along well but we honestly don't have that much in common (in fact, I think our only common interests are Justin Timberlake and, um...hmmm...) so it was fun to do something together. I think I'll forgive him for the fact that he made me listen to the "Go Cubs Go" song in the car (I know, you're amazed that such a song even exists. So am I) and for the fact that he won't stop insisting that this elderly couple we saw outside the arena after the show were Grandma and Grandpa Timberlake. In Shane's defense, he announced that his grandparents were at the show, but these people milling around in the crowd were definitely not his grandparents. Although I am a bit curious about what prompted a 70 year old couple to go to a Justin Timberlake concert. Anyway, it was a really fun night and now I feel like fast forwarding straight to spring break because I don't want to do anything productive.

I did stage manage tonight, though, and I will tomorrow as well because the show is up and running. I hope Richie and the cast are proud of themselves, because I am proud that I get to be involved in this show. I think it turned out great. I'm going to miss working on it. But with that said, it's going to be really nice to have three free hours every week night once the show closes tomorrow.

Oh, and my computer is fixed! And I found out today that I got a perfect score on that test I took last week (one more A and my grade in that class will be 50% A and I can stop worrying about it altogether). AND I found out today that the department nominated me to the graduate college as their most outstanding graduate student. I have no idea how that is determined, or what it means exactly, but now our graduate chair lobbies the graduate college on my behalf since I guess the ultimate goal is to be named the top student in the graduate college. I don't know what you get if you win, probably just bragging rights, I guess. I should be excited about this, but instead I'm just thinking, "Really? Why me?" I just do what I feel like I need to do, you know?

How brilliant, well-established, and self-confident do you think you have to be before you can just smile and say, "Oh yeah, of course I'm the best," when someone tells you that you are?

And on that note, I'm out of here. One week until I head to New York, which means one week to totally finish the thesis. And other than the fact that the thesis deadline is still looming over my head, I have to say I'm feeling pretty damn good about life right now.

No comments: