Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Idiots

The news anchors are now referring to yesterday and today (and tomorrow, I suppose) as "Ice Storm '07!" It's so stupid.

But yeah, we are iced in. Sort of. I've walked Cohen around the apartment complex a few times and decided that I don't particularly feel like driving anywhere since the sidewalks are kinda treacherous and I assume the roads must be, too. Plus I don't know where I'd go, since I'm assuming most restaurants and businesses in town are closed. But a few people are still driving around.
I keep watching out my front window as various neighbors attempt to get into their cars and drive off (where are people going?). It always starts with them yanking on car door, which is frozen shut, and finally getting it opened with a lot of effort. That's funny enough. Then they start the car to begin warming it up. And then I watch as they make trip after trip from their apartment back to the car with bowls of hot water to unthaw their windshield. This strikes me as completely ridiculous. They're making five or six trips back and forth across the parking lot carrying bowls or soup pots or tea kettles. I watch them slip and stumble across the parking lot, pour the water over the car, and then make their way back inside to warm up more water.

Wouldn't it be much, much easier to just turn on the car and let it warm up for a while as you stay warm and cozy inside your house? Surely that will start to loosen up the ice about as fast as waiting for a kettle of water to boil six times. And am I the only one who owns an ice scraper?

Sometimes I feel really, really tired of people.

No comments: