Thursday, April 26, 2007

Top 100 of 2001

Sorry for doing two memes in a row, but I don't have anything better to do and this one looks like it will be entertaining for me. (Maybe not for you, though. Sorry, you don't have to read it.)
Anyway, the point of this one is that you find the top 100 songs the year you graduated from high school and then you mark the ones you liked and the ones you didn't like.
I put the songs I like in bold and the songs I didn't like in italics. The ones that were "eh, take it or leave it" I left alone. And I wrote in brackets if I don't think I ever knew the song (or at least can't remember it anymore off the top of my head).

Incidentally, as I initially looked over this list I realized that a lot of these songs remind me more of my first semester of college than they do of my last semester of high school, but I guess that's the point since it was the year I graduated and I graduated in May...

1. Lady Marmalade Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya & Pink
2. Fallin', Alicia Keys
3. I'm Real, Jennifer Lopez
4. Family Affair, Mary J. Blige
5. Butterfly, Crazy Town [Chelsea HATED this song and we used to fight over whether or not to listen to it every time it came on the radio. It's a really, really stupid song, and I realize that. But, uh, it's catchy. It's in my mp3 player nowadays, in fact]
6. Thank You, Dido [Although this song was a major victim of radio over-play]
7. Don't Tell Me, Madonna [Ah yes, the cowgirl phase, my least favorite Madonna moment, actually. But I did like this song]
8. He Loves U Not, Dream [Don't remember this group at all]
9. Gone, 'N Sync
10. Love Don't Cost A Thing, Jennifer Lopez
11. Hero, Enrique Iglesias [I could not possibly hate this song more]
12. Hanging By A Moment, Lifehouse [I saw them in concert in April of 2001. I guess they were one hit wonders, huh?]
13. Drops Of Jupiter, Train [My mom really liked this song]
14. Jaded, Aerosmith
15. U Remind Me, Usher
16. Hit 'Em Up Style, Blu Cantrell [This song reminds me of the first road trip I ever took with my college roommate, Katy. We drove to Abilene to visit her family for Labor Day and I remember us singing to this in the car. We barely knew each other then!]
17. Survivor, Destiny's Child
18. It Wasn't Me. Shaggy featuring Ricardo "Rikrok" Ducent [This was a take-it-or-leave it song for me, but I'm pretty positive this actually came out in 2000, 'cause I remember laughing about it with my family when we went to New Jersey for Thanksgiving that year]
19. All For You, Janet Jackson
20. Angel, Shaggy featuring Rayvon
21. Turn Off The Light, Nelly Furtado
22. All Or Nothing, O-Town [I don't remember this song, I think I actively avoided O-Town as much as possible]
23. How You Remind Me, Nickelback [And then after this, Nickelback began sucking and hasn't stopped sucking since]
24. Someone To Call My Lover, Janet Jackson [Don't remember this one]
25. Fill Me In, Craig David [Don't remember this one, either]
26. It's Been Awhile, Staind [The summer between high school and college, Mike and I would hang out at my house a lot late at night and we watched a lot of late night MTV. This video was always on. It's a little bittersweet to think about it now.]
27. I'm Like A Bird, Nelly Furtado
28. Bootylicious, Destiny's Child [This would come on at Cowboys, this really ghetto club in Arlington that the girls on my dorm wing and I would hang out at sometimes. Everyone would flock to the dance floor]
29. Again, Lenny Kravitz
30. Let Me Blow Ya Mind, Eve featuring Gwen Stefani
31. Everywhere, Michelle Branch [To this day I can't listen to this song without feeling like I'm about to cry. It just reminds me too much of my first semester of college when I was so homesick from missing Mike. I listened to it all the time then, so I can't listen to it now]
32. Stutter, Joe featuring Mystikal [Don't remember this one]
33. Irresistable , Jessica Simpson
34. I Hope You Dance, Lee Ann Womack [HATE IT. And of course our class valedictorian quoted it in her commencement speech, as did probably every other sappy valedictorian of the class of 2001. So cliche.]
35. Nobody Wants To Be Lonely, Ricky Martin & Christina Aguilera [I don't remember this song, either, but considering it has Ricky Martin involved I probably wouldn't have liked it]
36. Here's To The Night, Eve 6
37. Beautiful Day, U2 [This was my class song. But I actually didn't vote for it]
38. Emotion, Destiny's Child
39. Superman (It's Not Easy), Five For Fighting
40. Southside, Moby with Gwen Stefani [Although I liked this song a lot more before it featured Gwen Stefani]
41. The Space Between, Dave Matthews Band [I also get too sad when I listen to this song now. Again with the Mike thing. I think even once I've been married to another guy for years, these songs will still make me sad, just because I associate them so strongly with that bummed out, homesick feeling]
42. Play, Jennifer Lopez [2001 was a very big year for J. Lo, obviously]
43. When It's Over, Sugar Ray
44. Drive, Incubus [This was the song I wanted to be our class song. I considered it sort of my "going out on my own into the big unknown world" anthem. In retrospect, I'm kinda glad it didn't win because apparently lots of classes used this song that year, and I have yet to come across someone else whose class song was Beautiful Day. And don't ask me why high school class song has even come up in conversations I have been in before, but it has. Ha.]
45. More Than That, Backstreet Boys
46. What Would You, Do City High [Don't remember this one]
47. Be Like That, 3 Doors Down
48. I Wanna Be Bad ,Willa Ford [Don't remember this one, either]
49. Peaches & Cream , 112 [Chelsea loved this song. I hated it. It was exactly like Butterfly for us, but vice versa]
50. Ride Wit Me, Nelly
51. Only Time, Enya
52. Where The Party At, Jagged Edge with Nelly
53. Standing Still, Jewel
54. Pop, 'N Sync
55. This Is Me , Dream [Who the hell was Dream?]
56. Never Had A Dream Come True, S Club 7 [Chelsea liked S Club 7. Wasn't there a TV show featuring them or something? I don't actually remember this song]
57. Crazy, K-Ci & JoJo
58. You Make Me Sick, Pink
59. What It Feels Like For A Girl, Madonna
60. E.I., Nelly [I guess I used to like Nelly]
61. Dig In, Lenny Kravitz
62. Get Ur Freak On, Missy Elliott [Still on my mp3 player, still played often]
63. Breathless, The Corrs
64. Every Other Time, LFO
65. Yellow, Coldplay
66. Best I Ever Had (Grey Sky Morning), Vertical Horizon
67. One Minute Man, Missy Elliott
68. I Do, Toya [Wow, I don't remember a lot of these songs]
69. Fly Away From Here, Aerosmith
70. I'm A Slave 4 U, Britney Spears
71. Smooth Criminal, Alien Ant Farm [This one reminds me of late night MTV-watching with Mike, too]
72. Still On Your Side, BBMak [Haha, BBMak! Whatever happened to those guys?!]
73. No More (Baby I'ma Do Right), 3LW [Don't remember this one]
74. My Everything, 98 Degrees [Weren't boy bands kinda on the way out by 2001, thank god?]
75. Ms. Jackson, Outkast
76. Start The Commotion, The Wiseguys
77. Free, Mya [Yet another song I don't remember...I bet I'd recall some of these if I heard them, though]
78. Baby, Come On Over (This Is Our Night), Samantha Mumba
79. Hemmorhage (In My Hands), Fuel [This one definitely first got popular in 2000 because it reminds me of the summer I spent dating Eric]
80. Drowning, Backstreet Boys
81. Around The World (La La La…), ATC
82. Thank You For Loving Me, Bon Jovi
83. AM To PM, Christina Milian [Don't remember this one, either!]
84. Izzo (H.O.V.A.), Jay-Z
85. Flavor Of The Week, American Hi-Fi
86. What's Going On, All Star Tribute
87. Stronger, Britney Spears
88. One More Time, Daft Punk
89. I'm A Believer, Smash Mouth
90. We Fit Together, O-Town
91. Differences, Ginuwine
92. Follow Me, Uncle Kracker
93. There You'll Be, Faith Hill
94. So In Love With Two, Mikaila [Don't remember this one]
95. In My Pocket, Mandy Moore [There was something extremely stupid about this song. I can't remember what made it so stupid, but maybe that's a good thing. I just know I didn't like it.]
96. Mad Season, Matchbox 20 [Saw them in the same concert where I saw Lifehouse]
97. Bad Day, Fuel
98. What's Your Fantasy Ludacris [This song then went on to be played at every single party I ever attended in college]
99. Liquid Dreams, O-Town [Technically I don't recall this song, either, but since it's O Town I probably hated it]
100. Babylon, David Gray

P.S.-I kind of can't believe I have already been out of high school for almost six years. Only four more years until we have to have a reunion and brag to each other about how much we have accomplished in ten years while pretending we're not actually bragging and comparing achievements. Ha. Actually, do high schools even do reunions anymore?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

God, those songs feel like an eternity ago. As for reunions, yes, they still happen. My sister went to the Hanks Class of 1996 reunion this past September. I fear they will hunt us down, no matter where we go.

And completely as a side note: While my family was eating lunch after out high school graduation, they started playing the "I hope you dance" song in the restaurant. My sister turns to me and goes, "Look, they've already turned Amanda's speech into a song." It was the highlight of my meal.