Monday, December 05, 2005

Procrasting Nation

Why do people create internet journals/blogs/whatever and then password protect them? Or, even worse, use the Myspace option that makes the entry only viewable to the person who wrote it? I don't understand the point of that. If you're going to write a journal and you want it to be private, make it a Word document on your PC or write in a notebook old school style. Because when people do that it just drives other people (like me) crazy. It's such a tease, like "Yeah, I'll give you the title of this entry that's surely really dramatic and interesting since I feel the need to keep it a secret, but then you don't actually get to read it." I don't expect people to stop doing this since everyone seems to be doing it lately but hey, people, it's frustrating! I guess I can understand doing it once in a while just to have all of your entries in one place, but people who hide every single entry make me angry. Mike's semi-ex girlfriend* does that and it frustrates me because from his descriptions of her she seems like a real piece of work and I'd love to read the melodramatic stuff she's probably writing in her private internet journal.

*"Semi-ex girlfriend" because it never quite became an official committed relationship and they really only dated for a few months. To his face I like to refer to her as "Your girlfriend". I don't think he likes that much. Incidentally, I've never even met the girl and I have no real opinion on her except that she has a really bizarre take on birth control. She doesn't want to get on the pill because it's expensive and will make her fat. Because, you know, getting pregnant doesn't make you fat at all, and raising a child is incredibly cheap and affordable these days.

Enough about my pet peeves. I was working on my paper at a pretty good clip this afternoon and tonight and then I went to get my laundry out of the dryer and then I decided I wanted ice cream and then Iron Chef came on and that was the end of my momentum. I think I did most of my research, though, and now tomorrow I'll just have to sit down and actually write the whole thing. The good news is, I was supposed to go wrap presents at Barnes and Noble tomorrow night as a fundraiser for Helping Hands Basset Rescue, but it got cancelled so that gives me four extra hours of working time tomorrow. And I still get to wrap presents on Thursday and Saturday, so everybody wins (um, everybody being ME).

I'm already anticipating having to stay up most of the night tomorrow working on my paper, but I'm okay with that. And I'm pretty sure I only need a high B on this paper to get an A in this class. I don't feel very confident in my ability to get an A on this paper considering what a shoddy job I've done of preparing it so far, but I do feel fairly confident in my ability to get a B. And even if I get a C on this paper I'll still have a B in the class. In other words, I'm not going to stress too much over this paper. I just need to finish it, turn it in, and then...on to more projects! But! A week from tomorrow this semester is over and I'm 3/8ths of the way towards my masters degree. And then holiday fun can begin in earnest.

I like when things begin in earnest. Especially when you misinterpret it and think of it as things beginning in a person named Ernest. Saying that makes me think of this time when we were little and Chelsea was reading the Constitution for homework and she read aloud to my mother, "Prudence dictates-" and interrupted herself to ask, "Prudence dictates? Who's Prudence?!" Just remembering her shrill voice as she asked the question and the look on her face still makes me laugh out loud to this day.

Alright, I'm gonna try to at least type out my abstract before I go to bed so I don't have to start with an entirely blank document tomorrow. Even 2 pages would be a good start.

No comments: