Monday, January 15, 2007

Ice Ice Baby

So the first day of class, which was supposed to be tomorrow, has been canceled due to ice on the roads (which has still yet to actually show up in any serious and dangerous way, but it's only 9:30 and still 32 degrees out so I guess we'll see what happens overnight). Since my only class this semester is Tuesday nights from 5 until 8, I suppose this means I get a whole extra week of winter break! Although knowing Dr. C I wouldn't put it past her to send us all an e-mail tomorrow giving us at least a reading assignment to have ready for next week. To be honest, I'm kind of bummed. I was looking forward to seeing everyone together tomorrow night and getting back into my academic groove and now I guess I'll just have to spend another few days lying around the house and thinking about how I should be working on my thesis but not actually doing any substantial work on it.

But hey, I did finish another Ph.D. application today. For those of you keeping track of the oh-so-thrilling process, that's five applications down, only one more to go. And since the only application I have left to finish is for my major, major, never-gonna-happen-so-why-am-I-even-bothering reach school, I basically feel like I'm done with the process. All of the applications that actually have a shot of getting me into a program for fall 2007 are in the hands of committee members and there's nothing else I can do at this point except wait. I'd like to be optimistic, but eh...

I have the Golden Globes on TV in the background right now and I've come to the realization that I've seen about zero movies this year. Seriously, I haven't seen anything. I think the only movie they've mentioned so far that I actually saw was Little Miss Sunshine. And the only other movie I can think of off the top of my head that I saw this year was The Holiday. I don't think it can be possible that I only saw two movies in theaters in 2006, can it? And yet I can't remember seeing anything else. I did watch a lot of TV, though. And as much as I enjoy Grey's Anatomy, I don't think it should have won Best TV Drama, mostly because I wouldn't really classify it as a drama. But I suppose it's not a comedy either and it needs to be in one of the two categories and it's more drama than comedy so yeah, okay. But it shouldn't have beat Big Love. It's good and it's entertaining, but it's not HBO calibur. (Can't wait for season two of Big Love, by the way!) Also, who even saw Babel? All the belated hype about that movie is annoying me. Nobody talked about how good it supposedly is when it actually came out. It's like the whole year went by and everyone was just waiting and waiting for something really great to come out and when nothing did everyone went, "Oh crap, where are all the award-worthy movies that were supposed to come out in December? What now?" "Well, there's that Babel movie that was released several months ago, that one was okay. We could really talk that one up, I guess. We have to do something!"

I thought I had something else to say, but I can't remember what it was. I guess I can tell you that if the weather clears up I think I'm going to drive to Houston on Thursday and stay with Matthew for a couple of nights. My friend Jenny has to go to a hospital in Houston for some tests and I told her I'd do my best to come down there and see her so that it's not a boring/depressing weekend of hanging out in doctor's offices. I had wanted to visit her in Fort Worth before Christmas but my managers at work (shockingly) ended up screwing up my schedule and I didn't end up being able to make it, so this will make up for my not visiting her for her Christmas party, plus I'll get the chance to see Matthew, too. It should be fun.

There are finally icicles forming on my car. Good. Because if I'm going to be stuck in my apartment with nothing to do and nobody to see for at least the next 24 hours and possibly longer I'd at least like there to actually be visible ice. ("Potentially one of the longest lasting ice storms we've seen in modern history, says the KXAN First Warning Weather! man". Hmmmm...Perhaps I should not mock the weather?)

No comments: