Monday, August 21, 2006

You Love When I Talk About the Mundane

I went to the grocery store the other day since I had a refrigerator full of condiments and a couple of bottles of beer and not much else. Anyway, my cart was piled sky-high (since I'd been out of pretty much everything) and it wasn't until I got home that I realized I'd bought five different types of cheese. That's kind of ridiculous.
I sort of did it on purpose. I bought one of those variety packs of lunch meat so then I bought two types of cheese just to shake things up a bit since nobody wants ham and cheddar to be the only sandwich option (and, um, by "nobody", I mean me). Then I ended up buying two different types of cheese in blocks instead of slices so that I can eat it on crackers. I tend to go through food phases and I'm in a big cracker phase right now. I keep making entire meals out of crackers, hummus and cheese, which maybe isn't the healthiest thing in the world to do since I think I'm consuming way more cheese than a person should in one sitting every time I do this. So I already had provolone, muenster, baby swiss and garlic-cheddar cheese when I remembered that I also needed a block of fontina to make these Italian-style tuna melts I'd read about in a magazine.

I suppose at the time all the cheese purchases were prompted by logic, but now every time I open my fridge I look at all that cheese and wonder what the hell I was thinking. Incidentally, the Italian-style tuna melts came out awesome. I had to use the broiler. Somehow prior to this I'd managed to live almost 24 years without ever broiling anything, but I was so freakin' pleased with the melted cheesy goodness that now I'm wondering what other awesome things I can broil.

Hey, want to hear more about my neighbors? I know you do! The guy who the cops were looking for is apparently still living across the hall, and apparently he's still having legal troubles as people keep coming by to try to deliver registered mail. But since he still seems to live there only two or three days out of the week they're not having much luck tracking him down. And I'm thinking of posting a note on my door that says "I Am Not My Neighbor's Keeper" because I'm getting tired of people knocking on my door and asking if I know him or have seen him lately. Ambiguous Sexual Preference Guy also still apparently lives next door, although I haven't actually seen him for a couple of weeks now. The only reason I'm relatively sure he still lives next door is the fact that he has three pairs of sneakers lying outside his front door and I can't figure out why you'd move and take everything with you but leave three pairs of Nikes behind. In-n-Out burger guy has moved out of one of the upstairs apartments and been replaced by a young guy who, unlike Ambiguous Sexual Preference Guy, is almost definitely gay. My favorite neighbors, the ones that live sort of caddy-corner above me (does that make sense?) moved out, too, but they just moved into the building next door. The apartment actually belonged to a red-headed guy named Jake, but his girlfriend basically lived with him and now they've moved into a bigger apartment. I like them. I like them because they have a bull terrier puppy who Cohen loves and also because the girlfriend has the same scholarship I do so she's usually the only person I know at stupid scholarship functions (like the one I have to go to tomorrow afternoon; ugh). Anyway, I'm glad they're still here in the complex at least. And apparently that apartment is only leased to red-headed guys because another young red-headed guy moved in over the weekend. What are the odds? Finally, the girl who lives above me moved out, too, and has been replaced by a really nice girl who also happens to be from El Paso! It was funny how we figured that out. The other day I ran into her in the laundry room and we were making neighborly small talk about the weather and how miserable and hot and dry it has been, and I said, "I wish it would rain. I just want it to rain for days," and she said, "Me too," and at the exact same moment we both opened our mouths and said, "I'm from El Paso-" and the continuation of that sentence would have been "and it's flooding there right now," but we didn't get to that point because we laughed too hard and then got off on the, "Really?! What high school did you go to/what do you miss most?" tangent.

Seriously, though, El Paso and southern New Mexico, what the hell? Send that rain this way, bitches. You're obviously done with it.

There were a few other things I meant to write about today but they've all slipped my mind. Plus I need to take a shower and watch more Alton Brown, so I'm out.

No comments: