Monday, December 05, 2005

A little freaky, and not in a kinky fun way

It shouldn't be possible to have a weekend as busy as I did and still feel like nothing was accomplished. Especially since I actually accomplished a lot. I was stuck stage managing those scenes basically all day on Friday and Saturday, but the upside of that is that they are now over (THANK GOD) and my scene went off better than I thought it would considering the last minute actor switch. I also did my major grocery shopping since it had been more than two weeks since I'd been to the store and I was out of basically everything, and I thoroughly cleaned the apartment, and I worked out a lot, and I addressed all 70 of my Christmas cards so I can put them in the mail tomorrow. I'm doing a Christmas card exchange with my internet basset hound mailing list, hence the large amount of cards. And yes, I realize that if you ever thought I was cool I totally and utterly killed that delusion with the phrase "my internet basset hound mailing list", but I'm okay with that. It's time we all faced reality. (If you're reading this and you'd like a Christmas card let me know. Unfortunately I'm not in a slutty Mrs. Claus outfit as in cards past because sadly I think those crazy days are over, but the basset hound is wearing a festive sweater and reindeer antlers!)

A couple of little weird things happened this weekend. Like I saw the same very distinctive woman twice in the same weekend in different places in town. I guess that's not too strange because it's not as if this place is exactly enormous, but the thing that made it weird was that she was a very white woman wearing traditional African clothing. I saw her on Friday morning in the theatre building and then again on Saturday night when I was at the town Christmas festival with my sister and the dogs. The strange clothing combined with seeing her twice in two days was just kind of odd.
Then today at the grocery store I picked up a box of razor blades and an alarm started going off! So I put it back down on the shelf, and the alarm stopped. Reached up to grab it again, the alarm went off again. Repeated this two or three times. What the hell?! So I wandered up and down the aisle as stealthily as possible, pretending to check out feminine hygiene products but secretly eyeing the razor blades and looking for directions on what to do, hoping that somebody else would come by to buy razor blades so I could figure out what the heck I was supposed to do to get my blades without sirens wailing. There was no sign telling me that I couldn't take razor blades myself, but the alarm was really unnerving. Finally an HEB employee wandered down the aisle and I asked her what was up with the alarm and she told me that a lot of razor blades have been stolen lately, "especially from the men's side" so they put an alarm on them so that store employees can tell whenever someone is in the razor blade aisle. How weird is that? Does anyone else's grocery store do this or is my HEB crazy? I've never seen that sort of alarm on a product before.
And then a kind of big weird thing happened. There's this kid in my directing class who seems to be kinda into me (well, I say kid, he's at least 21 since I know he goes to the bars, but he's an undergrad and in my mind they're all kids, even though many of them are older than me). He has called me by name all semester, weeks and weeks before I figured out his name. Sometimes he waits outside the building to trap me into conversation after class. Whenever food is being passed around directing class he always offers some to me before taking any for himself. The scene I directed was about comic book heroes and yesterday he brought me one of the comics featured in the play, still wrapped in plastic and everything. I thought he had just brought it to show it to me and I was thinking, "Wow, that's really nerdy, but I suppose that's a nice thing to do," but then he was like, "Keep it. Turn it in as part of your production book." I told him no, that I couldn't keep it, but he insisted. At this point I was starting to finally really get concerned because I realized he probably likes me and I'm just not interested in him at all whatsoever. I'm not attracted to him and he's just kind of a geek. But he was harmless, I thought. Until today. Now I'm not so sure. Because get this: this evening I was cleaning my bathroom when there was a knock on my door. I went to answer it and it was the guy! I was like, "Uh...hi..." and he said, "I thought that was you!" Again all I could say was, "Uh..." and he added, "I was just going to check my mail and I noticed you. I live in apartment 233, I didn't realize you lived in this complex too!" There are several problems with this encounter. Number 1, he knocked on a random person's door without knowing for sure that it was going to be me. Number 2, it's not like I was outside and he noticed me walking by the mailroom or something. He noticed me through my apartment window. It was dusk and I hadn't gotten around to closing the blinds yet so he must have looked through the doorway to my patio and seen me cleaning my bathroom sink. That's pretty damn creepy. Number 3, we had this really awkward conversation because he's a really awkward person, and when I mentioned I was cleaning my apartment he said, "Oh, why, are your parents coming to visit or something?" I told him, "No, I clean every week," and he looked at me like I was crazy and said, "WHY?" and I looked at him like he was crazy (because apparently he is) and said, "Because I don't like to live in a dirty apartment." I can't imagine the state of this guy's apartment if he only bothers cleaning when someone is coming to visit. I can't believe there are really people that live like that. It would drive me insane. Anyway, he left and went back to his place, but two hours later he showed up again and invited me to take a "study break" at Starbucks with him. I declined because I'd just gotten back from the store and was unloading all of my stuff and I still needed to do a bunch of stuff around the apartment and, well, I just didn't want to go anywhere with him. I think he's being unnaturally, almost scarily forward now. I just hope he doesn't start knocking on my door every day, because there's nothing I hate more than having to have one of those "Listen, I'm just not interested in you..." conversations. I feel like I've had an inordinate amount of those conversations in my life already. And there's no way I can pretend I'm not home when I am, because a) I park right outside my apartment and even if I didn't this complex is so small he'd see my car no matter where it was in the parking lot and b) if my TV is on-and it always is-you can hear it through the front door no matter how low I have the volume on. So basically, I'm screwed. Greeaaaat.

Somehow it's already 1 in the morning and I really do have to work hard on my paper tomorrow and Tuesday so I need to go to bed. I cannot believe I'm going to attempt to write a 10 page paper in just two days. All I have so far is six note cards of information, two articles, and an outline. The outline makes me feel better about where this paper is going, but I still don't know how the hell I'm planning to pull this off. I've never pulled off procrastination this extreme before, so I'm worried. We'll see what happens.

No comments: