Thursday, March 09, 2006

I'll dunk my cookies in your tears

Today has been both really crappy and really awesome. Probably more awesome than crappy, though, so that's good. It was crap because:
1) In Directing today Mr. Gay-but-in-the-Closet-Married-to-a-Butch-Woman-Who-May-Very-Well-Be-A-Lesbian Professor Man announced that the first performances of our shows are going to be done in class on April 4th. I have several major problems with this, mostly the fact that I'm doing a 30 minute Shakespeare scene and there's no way all of my actors are going to be off book and ready to perform with less than two weeks to actually work on the scene (next week doesn't count, it's spring break!). For several reasons that I won't get into right now this is a very unfair situation and I'm pretty pissed about it. And really stressed about it. But what can you do?
2) I had to take my Dramaturgy midterm. I spent the whole day cramming. I feel like I did okay on it, but it has been 3 1/2 hours since I finished the test and my entire right hand and arm is still aching. You try handwriting 9 pages plus two pages of outlines in 3 hours. Oh, and make sure it's actually legible. Why can't we use laptops for these tests? Seriously.
3) The Padre trip is the day after tomorrow and I'm feeling pretty apprehensive about it. Basically, I'm afraid it's going to suck and I'll just be drunk and weepy the whole time. I don't think that's actually going to happen, but I'm not as excited about this trip as I was once upon a time.

On the bright side, today was awesome because:
1) I got my Dramatic Theory midterm back and I got a 98! 98! I was pretty sure I'd more or less failed the whole thing because that was the night Chelsea and I spent a significant amount of time making up interpretive dances to Enya songs instead of studying. But I once again somehow managed to get an awesome score with a minimal amount of effort. I also got a 95 on a Theory paper I wrote a couple of weeks ago that I was pretty sure was pure crap. Needless to say, I feel pretty fucking brilliant right now. Mainly I think I've been doing so well in that class because I'm an awesome note-taker. Seriously, I don't have a lot of special skills, but I'm the best note-taker I know. Impressive, huh? Somehow this skill has leaked to the rest of the grad students and now there are four people who regularly borrow my notebook to make copies (even though they also take their own notes). I should really start charging for this service.
Digression: this note-taking talk reminds me of one of my early memories of Kymberli. We had Stagecraft together freshman year and early in the semester we were studying together for a test. Something came up that I was unclear on, so I asked Kymberli, "Hey, can I see your notes for September 20th?" When she opened her notebook to that date, it had approximately three lines of notes followed by her name written about 600 times and then a final scrawl: "I am ADD. Ask Ashley for notes." To this day that's pretty much my friendship with Kymbo in a nutshell. Haha. I love remembering that...CANNOT believe that was almost five years ago!
2) Speaking of Kymbo I found out today that, she might come visit me next weekend! Jenny and Ellen are coming down for St. Patrick's Day for sure. We've been planning their trip for about a week now. And then yesterday I called to invite Katy, too. I'd been thinking about it anyway and then Jenny called and said, "Why don't you invite Katy?" so that settled it. Katy says she's going to come down, too, and it would just be wrong to hang out with Jenny and Katy without Kymberli there, so I invited her to come down, too. So it's entirely possible that all of my favorite girls might be here next weekend!! I'm really excited about it. I figure even if Padre does end up sucking, at least part of the break will be fun!
3) SPRING BREAK STARTED! Honestly, I'm not dreading Padre. I'm actually more or less looking forward to it now that it's almost time to go. My goal is just to try to control the drinking as much as possible since I know I'll just be stupid if I get drunk (Oh, who am I kidding. I'll be drunk and stupid. But I'm hoping for the best). At the very least it should be nice hanging out on the beach and doing nothing for a few days.

Finally, this is neither awesome nor crappy, it's just a weird thing that happened today. This morning after my directing class I was walking out to my car. I follow this dirt path from the theatre building out to the street, and as I was walking on the path this morning this girl Bridget was walking a few yards in front of me. Suddenly she came to an abrupt stop, stood on one foot and took off her sandal, shook a rock out of it, and then put it back on and kept walking. That itself wasn't weird at all. Here's what's weird, though: four hours later I was once again on the same path walking out to my car after my Playwriting class (I drive back and forth to school three times on Tuesdays and Thursdays just because I have awkward long breaks and I'd rather be chillin' at home than at school. It's only a five minute drive anyway). As I walked down the path there was once again a girl walking in front of me. And suddenly she came to an abrupt stop, stood on one foot and took off her sandal, shook a rock out of it, and then put it back on and kept walking! In the exact same spot Bridget had done the same thing four hours earlier! What are the odds of that happening? I feel like I witnessed a glitch in the Matrix.

Alright, I need to go to sleep. I'm so worn out, and I have a lot to do tomorrow to get ready to leave town on Saturday. I probably won't post again until after spring break. Let's just hope I survive, because it has the potential to be either a) really depressing, b) really crazy, or c) both.

No comments: