Monday, October 09, 2006

This Weekend...

This Weekend I:
-Fell down a flight of stairs at the show I was working Friday night. Of course I landed at the feet of the show's director, who had been a jerk to me and the house manager all week long. And of course I was wearing a dress.
-Fell down AGAIN while walking to the bar three hours later.
-Decided I'm permanently retiring the shoes I was wearing on Friday night, because that's fucking ridiculous.
-Spent all day Friday helping Mandi get set pieces for her show. It was an ordeal that involved picking up major kitchen appliances found at the side of the road, backing a giant U-Haul up onto a laughably narrow loading dock, and hauling a washing machine up and down stairs on a dolly, amongst other things (Have you ever moved a washing machine? I don't recommend it unless you want to increase your chance of ending up in the ER tenfold.)
-Was in rehearsal today for six hours.
-Chose cleaning my apartment over going on a date, because I've realized that I was feeling like the new guy was just using a date as a means to an end, the "end" in this case being sex. And I hate feeling like that. I want the physical stuff to be the icing on the cake, not the entire point. Even though we were having a pretty good time together, I realized the thing that was making me uneasy was that I felt like he was only taking me out and feeding me and buying me drinks so that he could hopefully get me into bed. And I know that's often the point of dating, but I don't want it to be the point. I want to be with someone who loves talking to me as much as making out with me, and while he seemed to truly enjoy talking to me he was also often like, "When are we going to kiss again?" and...NO.
-Fought with a customer at the box office. If I tell the whole story here I'll probably get so angry I'll give myself a stroke, but I'll just say that it's probably the worst exchange I've ever had with a customer and I have been waiting tables, bartending, parking people's cars, or selling people show tickets for seven years now. Words cannot express how much of an asshole this guy was. But I kept my cool. I wanted to punch his stupid face, but I argued as politely as possible and then despite the fact that I was appalled by his behavior, I finally let him into the theater. But only after finishing the conversation with, "I just want you to know that you're an incredibly irresponsible person. And stop lying to my face. It's insulting, and even more so in this case because you are a really terrible liar." So he went upstairs to the show--ten minutes late and without paying--and then guess what I found out from one of my ushers at intermission?
During the entire first act of the show, he sat there as his girlfriend gave him a handjob. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!?!?!?!?! I wanted to report him for lewd behavior so badly, but I knew that since it was after the fact there was no way I could prove anything had been going on. Still, the usher said it was unmistakable. Even if there hadn't been enough light coming from the stage to see exactly what was happening, his girlfriend apparently doesn't know how to be discreet with a zipper.
I'm sure he'll end up being a politician.
I was looking forward to having more words with him this morning when he showed up to actually pay for his tickets, but unfortunately by the time he showed up I'd already left for the afternoon. I guess that's probably for the best, because had I actually gotten a chance to "talk" to him again I'd probably be unemployed right now.

But Also:
-When I took that spectacular fall in front of the director, he shouted, "Oh my God, Ashley!!", proving for the first time that he does in fact know my name. He was also really friendly to both Mandi and I for the rest of the weekend, so apparently to get on his good side you just have to do something humiliating in front of him.
-I didn't seriously injure myself in either fall. I have a rug burn running all the way up the side of my right shin and knee, but that just makes me look tough.
-My dog still hasn't been thrown out of his Canine Good Citizen training class, and when he actually focuses in class he looks so serious and determined that it makes my heart hurt in a good way.
-Everything is finally pretty much ready to go for the show I'm stage managing, which is good because it goes up this weekend.
-Right now I'm actually feeling totally okay with the fact that I'll choose cleaning my apartment over going on a date. When the right guy comes along I'll let my apartment fall to pieces if it means I can spend more time with him. In the meantime I can tell myself I'm too busy for a relationship right now and know that I'm only somewhat rationalizing.
-I went out with a group of the grad students on Friday night and it was great. We all drank margaritas until last call and then were having so much fun that a few people ended up coming back to my apartment to keep the fun going. At 3:30 in the morning I had an apartment full of people drinking Bacardi and Coke and laughing about everything as Grey's Anatomy played on the TV and Cohen happily wrestled with Amanda's dog Penny in the middle of the living room, and I thought, "This is awesome! Why don't we do this every night? Or at least every week?" Our schedules are why, of course. Every group that hangs out together and parties all the time needs an instigator to get things going, and none of us is regularly the instigator of that sort of thing. Which is how we ended up as nerdy grad students in the first place. Still, the big problem is that we're all working on shows and we all have different rehearsal schedules, so to have a night when we're all actually free at the same time is rare. I'm glad we took advantage this weekend. It was well worth being hungover for the first couple of hours I was waiting tables on Saturday morning.

I can't wait for next weekend!

No comments: