Saturday, November 11, 2006

Round on the End, High in the Middle

Here are a few observations that I feel completely qualified to make about southeastern Ohio and the mid-Ohio valley region considering I have now spent two full days here:
  • These Ohio Valleyans (?) love them some taco salad. There has been a taco salad on every menu I've seen since I arrived in West Virginia, including the menu for the pizza place where Amanda and I ordered dinner tonight. Odd.
  • They also love those check-cashing places. I've seen at least five places with variations on the name "Cash Stop" since I got here, and this is not exactly a big, bustling town.
  • It's exactly like most towns in Texas in the fact that the Super Walmart is one of the most happenin' places in town after 10:00 PM.
  • Their local commercials are even more cringe-inducing than the ones in central Texas, which shouldn't be possible.

But I like it here. It's beautiful (actual autumn weather, complete with colorful leaves! What a concept!!) and the conference has gone surprisingly well. More on all that when I get back to Texas, though (maybe). Pizza just got here, so I'm outta here.

P.S.-Someone please explain this to me: The Comfort Inn offers free wireless internet, but the Four Seasons charges $10 a day. I get free internet in the hotel room we're paying $62 a night for, but the Four Seasons can't handle shelling out for free internet? Seriously?

No comments: